Hermana Smoot

Hermana Smoot
Hermana Smoot

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Week #4 (August 27, 2014)

A few sisters in our district-They are the greatest!!!


Hola,


This week was quite eventful! I feel like a learn so much every day and it's hard to even remember what has been the most meaningful. But I do love this work.

As I mentioned last week Hna. Wadsworth and I are the STL. And we had a bit of a struggle with two girls who came here a few weeks after us. They weren't talking to each other and both felt threatened and miserable. We found out actually at the end of last P-Day that one of them was on the verge of going home. So taking the advice of one of the instructors, we had a companionship inventory/counseling session with them. We were really nervous, especially since we would feel slightly responsible if either of them went home.  But we prayed really hard and sat down and had a really good talk with him. I know we were totally led by the spirit and the lord really had us say what they needed to hear. So good news! They aren't going home and they are doing so much better. It was a really nice lesson on trusting in the lord for me, and I know that when I feel inadequate, I can remember that the lord qualifies whom he calls. :)

 We had TRC this week which is where volunteers from the city volunteer to come help the missionaries. Some are members but a lot of them aren't and we get the opportunity to teach them. So first of all, Scary. But also, so cool. The first lesson we taught was over skype. It was a little difficult because we didn't know anything about her except she was less active and we only had about ten minutes. Plus when you can barely understand the language, and then the connection is bad....it was no bueno. But we just shared a spiritual thought and prayed with her. So I hope it helped. The second one we taught was with an older couple who were members pretending to be less actives. It was actually a really great lesson. We got to know then for a while and then taught about the book of mormon and Christ. I really felt the spirit as I bore my testimony of the atonement to them. I think I'm going to miss not being able to do that as often when I'm home. It's amazing. The whole experience made me really nervous, but way more excited for the field and all the people with whom I'm going to interact. Uh. Amazing.

Funny story of the week: We were teaching a lesson to our instructor and she had read the first part of Nephi and was wondering why Nephi had to kill laban when he was so obedient. I didn't know the word for kill/murder though and neither did my companion. And we didn't have our english scriptures with us. So we thought she was talking about laman and lemual and how nephi was getting angry with them/chastising them for their disobedience. So I try to explain how sometimes our parents chastise us and send us to our rooms so we can learn a lesson, which couldn't even explain that fully in spanish. And when I said "your parents" she looked so surprised and just said, "mi padres!!?" So I basically told her something along the lines of parents murdering their children. So that was a good time. Oh the adventures of another language.

Overall, I've had a lot better lessons this week. i'm figuring out the equation of a lesson and trying to follow it: A lot of planning+prayer+applying principles to their lives+following the spirit=beuno leccion! Most times if we follow that, we are able to be so much more effective and actually follow the spirit. But only when we plan and really study to find the investigators needs through the spirit. I feel like I knew it before, but now that I'm actually doing it, I'm beginning to have a much better understanding. The spirit is so key in everything a missionary does. That is something else that is so amazing about a mission. I see gods hand so much more every day because I have to have it every day. It's amazing how many times I have to be reminded that I'm not doing this by myself. I'll be sitting and thinking about how I can't do any of this and I feel really overwhelmed....and then I remember how much the spirit is in charge and how I'm not doing any of this by myself. And I'll be ok. This work is amazing and I'm so happy I get to be here doing this!! It's hard, but so worth it!

Much Love,
Hermana Smoot

PS
 THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE PACKAGE. I was literally giddy when I got those veggies. I started singing and dancing for the rest of the afternoon. (sorry companion) It was the best. We get a lot of fresh fruit in the cafeteria, but not a lot of fresh veggies. so THANK YOU. I literally good have eater 12 lbs. of those cucumbers. yum.

Also, HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM! I'm sending a letter in the mail so it should come in about 10ish days. Sorry it's so late. :)



VEGGIES! Best day ever! 
a few district sisters


No comments:

Post a Comment